Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Betty


Betty
Originally uploaded by lothruin
Holy Bejeebers. It's May! I've neglected this blog. :( In part I blame my newest hobby, which I'm learning at the moment, and so it's taking a hefty toll on my attention. Also, it must be mentioned, my Grandma Betty died at the beginning of April, and so I've been sort of preoccupied with that as well. More on that in moment.

So. I'm spinning. I love it. I'm still new at it, but who cares. It's going great, I want a spinning wheel. I'm thinking of trying to make one for now. Maybe I can make myself one cheap that will tide me over until I can buy one. I made the yarn you see here. It doesn't rock as hard as some other hand-spun yarns you might see, but damn it, it's MINE, and I think it rocks pretty damn hard.

Also, at the beginning of April I found a complete Bond knitting machine at a garage sale for $5. So I've been playing with that a little too. Whee!

Now, while I was at my first spinning class on April 5th, my Grandma Betty died of a heart attack. You might recall that my other grandmother died shortly after Christmas. It's been a long year already. However, I get to feel a certain closeness to both my grandmothers through the bond of crafting. My Oma knit and crocheted, my Grandma Betty sewed and embroidered. And spun? We don't know for sure. What I do know is that my choice from amongst her jewelry box items was her sterling silver thimble. And my mother, knowing my sis and I were really the only grandchildren who craft, requested that any of her remaining craft items be set aside for us before the sale of her things this weekend. What did they find but a drop spindle!! No one knew what it was except that I had taken my drop spindle with me and was spinning at my uncle's house during the wake slash see family again after all these years party the night before the funeral. So did my Grandma Betty spin? She didn't after she had kids, as far as anyone knows. But maybe before then. Or could it be HER mothers? Either way, I'm positively delighted that such a tangible, usable, wonderful thing will be mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home