Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Ring and other things

OK, well, this is supposed to be a "knitting" blog, right? Well, I haven't really been knitting, and I don't have pics of the stuff I've been busily crocheting. But really, I haven't been doing a great deal of either, since I've been making jewelry and garb for helping Holly booth at Ren Faires this season. Especially for the James Arthur Vinyard festival, I think I'll be cheating on jewelry. By cheating I mean making things using techniques typically associated with renny type stuff, but with a modern flair. Here's an example:




The ring is made from 28 gauge pure silver wire. The beads are actually a really pretty lavender color, but the subtle iridescense made them look somewhat brownish in the pics. The wire is woven and then bent into a ring. The cluster is used to close the ring together and keep it stable. I really like how it turned out. Other examples of things I'm doing include the items I'm calling (to myself, anyway) "Bit o' Byzantine" which is really too cheesy to say out loud to the world, but there ya go. They are single repeats of Byzantine (also called Estruscan) chain work, suspended from necklaces, bracelets or earrings with modern elements. Or, the chandelier-style earrings made from a modified japanese 6-in-1 chain mail weave. Each piece gives you some old and some new, and they're turning out very pleasing, from my point of view. I'll post more pics when I get some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home