Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Me brain, me brain...

I loved the idea that Kit and I could be the Spider and the Fly for halloween. I hate the idea of making the costumes. It's just not in me, I think. I don't currently have the money or the patience to get it done in time. So I think we're going to have to be fairies or princesses or something more generic, ie easier to finish fast and on the fly. That's OK, it'll turn out lovely.

SnB this weekend was fun. It was too hot for me to get much done because yarn sticks to my fingers when I'm hot, but that was OK. I don't know if I was successful in teaching my friends to knit (and/or crochet) but it was a different experience. I don't remember having any trouble with crochet when I learned as a kid. I didn't have ANY trouble learning to knit as an adult. It's the type of activity that just made complete sense to me, almost from the very beginning. By my third project, my gauge was nearly perfect. I can't help it. It just clicked. And the only other person I ever taught was my mother, and it clicked for her too. The simple change between trying to learn with the throw method and trying to learn with the continental method was all it took for her to get it. Then it all made sense. So I have been operating under the probably false assumption that with the right sort of approach, these activities will click with anyone. I think that isn't true. I do not think that either of my friends will be unable to learn how to knit or crochet. I question whether I'm really experienced enough in the various methods of holding yarn, casting on, etc., to present the option that WILL click with either of them, if there is one. We'll have to see. I think mostly what they need is patience with themselves to do it even though it is neither easy nor pretty.

I've been falling asleep at night contemplating projects for christmas and other gifts. Formulating plans and such. Last night I was dozing on the couch thinking about knitted hats and a certain bag of recycled yarn that is bulky home-spun wool in lost of colors, but short lengths. And I came up with an idea. I don't think it will actually work with the yarn I originally intended, which is sad, because I was trying to think of cool ways to use this cool yarn, and I think in the end I'll just have to do random stripes with coordinating colors. But I think it WILL work. And work COOL. And that is why, my friends, I would SO rather be knitting right now. This idea is practically bursting out of my head to get implimented, and I don't want it bursting anywhere near my work computer. Too messy to clean up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home