Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Monday, July 18, 2005

Family

I had a wonderful, though stressful, weekend. I got to fly up to Sheridan, WY to the family reunion and see my aunts and uncles and cousins whom I haven't seen in SO long. I was so happy to see them all. Especially my Aunt Liz, who has always been one of my favorite family members. She is an amazing artist, and taught me so much about different styles when I was growing up. She also has cancer, and the prognosis is not good, so seeing her was really special.

While there, I worked on my Offendi bag, but still haven't finished it yet. I've been considering the ruffles. And then reconsidering. And then considering again. Also, while there, I got to wander up and down Main St. Now, many of you will not be familiar with Sheridan, WY. It is a small city in Northern Wyoming. It's got a lot of cowboys and a lot of wealthy retired folks' who can't quite afford Jackson Hole. This weekend happened to be rodeo weekend, and the Sheridan Wyo Rodeo is a big deal. Chris Ledoux got his start around there, in both rodeo and music. There's a famous saddlery and ropes store called Kings. There are at least three mountain / extreme sports stores along Main St., and a famous cowboy bar called the Rainbow. And, there are some beaufitul boutiques of handmade jewelry, knit garments, rugs, etc., very posh and upscale, but with a western (NOT southwestern, mind you, but western) feel.

One of the little boutiques was called "Over the Moon" because it took up a space both too the right and also above a little coffee shop called the Moon Cafe. And there I was, having coffee with my mother in this little coffee shop on Main st., with cowboys at the next table, and jutting into the coffee shop, sharing the space, from the little boutique next door was a stack of shelves with some of the most beautiful yarn I've ever seen. They had Colinette, they had Manos, they had Classic Elite, but they also had some gorgeous handspun, hand painted yarns from the area tht I could not believe. Sadly, I spent $15 on a hat for my husband, being the semi-cowboy that he is, and had no $15 to buy myself a hank of yarn. But I will remember, oh yes, I will remember.

2 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

omg!! I was hoping you were going to end the story with what you bought! My heart broke.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Lothruin said...

Well, my heart broke too, but I know where it is, and I know the yarn I had my eye on, so I may ask my Aunt to hop over there and pick up a hank for me when I have the $$ to get something really nice.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home