Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Inspiration

I was thinking today about inspiration... about posting at least one picture or link a week for something that inspires me in my fiberwork. Well, ok, I was thinking rather abstractly about inspiration and then decided I'd try to make a blog post once a week that was a piece of or collection of inspirational materials. Why? I'll tell you.

I was browsing the Dolce and Gabbana Fall 06 Ready-to-Wear line and saw LOTS of knits. LOTS. What struck me, though, was that a lot of those knits were so similar to stuff I'd seen on Craftster LAST fall and winter. So, the flow of creativity always interests me, and I think that a lot of people might have it backwards. They think that craftspeople take their inspiration from the big designers. Certainly this is true of folks who mostly knit patterns out of magazines and books, I suppose. But where do designers get their ispiration? I realize that designers are creative folks. It would be silly to try to deny it. But they aren't the origin of all that is stylish in fashion. They can't be because there's no such thing.

Ok, see... abstract. I warned you. But it left me wondering where I mostly get my inspirations. It can't be forgotten that I'm a fairly new knitter still, realistically. Ok, it's been almost two and a half years since I worked my first knit stitch, but my time is diversified enough that I don't feel like I've packed a lot of experience into that amount of time. I've still only finished a handful of items, really. So, I admit that I mostly get my inspiration from finished knitted items, things I can look at and get a feel for the construction, the process of the stitch pattern, etc. I still feel I'm in sort of an absorption state. The process to me is still the best part, so deconstruction really fascinates me. What makes me sad about that is that I really like being original. I don't really like using other peoples' patterns that much. I want to have inventive ideas. So taking my inspiration mostly from already finished items feels really limiting. But MAN do I learn a lot!! The most informative of my inspirational jaunts has me figuring row by row complicated stitch patterns, and that has really helped me SEE how lace and other things work. It's really very satisfying.

This is where you guys come in. (In just know there are some of you out there... *chirp chirp*... crickets can knit, can't they?) What inspires you? Is it color that really gets you? Texture? Shape? Fiber? Is it the process, like me? I've also been rolling around in my brain some sort of inspiration-along... Maybe something in the round. lol I think I'll post my idea on Craftster. But what I really want is some really good, interactive discussion about what is inspiring. And here's my shot for the day:

Anthropologie's Candy Floss Sweater
What do I like about it? Well, I do like the color, but... there's just something about the shape and the... I don't know exactly. I think it's pretty and sweet. I like the shape, with the wide, probably flattering ribbed waist and the gathering at both waist and neck. I like the scooped neckline and the length of the sleeves. I like the lacy stitch pattern, although, god help me, I'd never survive trying to figure it out. I like that it's a raglan. I REALLY like that.

Who's next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home