Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Out with the good...

The yarn auctions went very well, even considering that one lot didn't sell. To relist or not to relist, that is the question. Doesn't anyone have a military person in their lives they want to knit for? Ah well.

So, out with the... good yarn... uh... in with the also good yarn. I picked up a little "grab bag" for $0.99 at Goodwill today that had a full ball of Sugar and Cream (can always use another washcloth and the price is good just for that) in Delft Blue, which is a personal favorite, but also had a hank of lovely, bright jade green wool sock yarn by Candide Yarns, which I learned was bought by Reynolds some time ago.



Unfortunately, the hank is only 2 oz, which makes 57 grams, which makes 275 yds, and I haven't the foggiest what to do with it. I think I would call it laceweight, although I really am not one to know. I don't want to swatch it until I have a good idea of patterns to use, because I don't want to wind it up yet. I don't normally wear ankle socks, but I might MAKE some. I'd considered going for a toddler sock pattern, but my girl, like her father, gets sweaty feet, so I'm not sure the wool is really appropriate for her. So, can anyone recommend a good sock pattern that uses so little?

Meanwhile, this weekend I scrapped the baby sweater I was making. You know, I really don't like the Dreambaby yarn. Well, I DO like it... it knits up in a lovely, soft, small gauge. But I'm not feeling up to inventing a pattern for it, and I can't find any good ones for free. For as many people as claim to love that yarn, there sure aren't many free patterns available. Anyone recommend a good one?

This weekend I also started a project for myself, for once. I'm making myself a messenger-style tote out of some Reynolds Lopi I've had sitting about for a while now. (Please note that while I started this weekend, I first fiddled with the yarn for a good long while, and then haven't had time to work on it since...)


Very exciting, eh?


I always planned on knitting myself a felted bag out of it, but just hadn't gotten around to it, and now I'm really starting to need a new bag. So, I've got dark grey and white with grey bits. According to the color chart on Yarndex I think it's colors 58 and 54. The hanks were probably from the 70's, though, and I don't think the colors were listed the same. Anyway, I'm going to do a solid back in dark grey, a solid wide strap, a striped front in the dark and light and a dark grey flap with a dupliate stitch skull design on it in the white. (I could do it intarsia, but I don't wanna. I actually do want the raised effect of duplicate stitch. Plus, I don't wanna.) Since I have 2 big hanks of the dark and one of the white, I figured this would be best, but I actually have NO idea how far it will go, so I figure I've got enough of the white to do more than just the skull, and maybe not enough of the grey to do the whole bag and strap, so hence the stripes, which are piratey anyway.

And, just because I envy MYSELF this yarn buy, here's a pick of the lovely Cotton Top DK I picked up. All 12 skeins for $10, which is not as good a buy as I usually make at the goodwill, but is still great for this dreamy yarn.



Besides, after selling it's sister on Ebay, this yarn officially cost me nothing. *grin*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home