Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Dolly Mommy & Etsy

I did it!! My Prima Dolly Ginger Takara Blythe is on her way. She cleared customs in Chicago yesterday morning. I'm already making her clothes. I went digging in all my scrap bags, and I found a surprising amount of perfect Blythe scrap. I can't resist vintage fabric, and I've been buying scrap bags at estate sales (and once or twice at my favorite quilt shop, too) and hording them. I had NO idea what I might eventually do with some of this stuff. Who needs 6 3" x 7" pieces of miniature cheetah-print polyester? Well, as it turns out, the answer is me. Or more to the point, my dolly. And other dollies everywhere.

I printed a couple of pattern from PuchiCollective just to get an idea on size. I've never even SEEN a Blythe in person, so I had no idea where to start. But since the first thing I wanted to make was a party dress with a simple, gathered skirt, I started with PuchiCollective's party dress to get an idea what she uses for the size of the starting rectangle, and I'll design my dress around that. I'm really excited. I'm making the dress out of some scraps of black silk with magenta mini-paisleys I found in one of the estate scrap bags. It's so beautiful. But I'm going to do a hand-rolled hem on basically everything since it's so SO fine. I'm finished with the bottom and one side of the skirt piece, which is 14" x 3". It isn't the most well-done work, but I'll get better at it. I have enough of this particular scrap that if I come up with a design that works for the fabric, I'll make two more dresses.

Which brings me to my second bit of news: I opened an Etsy. Yes, I did. No, I'm not giving up on actually getting Moirai running eventually. I love the design I did for Moirai, and it WILL get used. But first, some things have to be worked out, like making sure I can get good images of product on a regular basis. The pics on Etsy pretty much suck, but they aren't the worst pics I've seen on Etsy, however, they are no where close to good enough for a web shop. So, Etsy for a while. And on that front, the extra Blythe goodness I manage to cook up out of my plentitude of scraps will be sold in my Etsy shop. And I can hardly wait.

So, yeah, buy stuff and congratulate me on my dolly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home