Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Thrifty Goodness

This week I scored at the thrift stores again. Not yarn this time, though. I found 2 books of vintage iron-on transfers:



You may or may not know how much I love vintage things, and to find this many iron-on transfers makes me so freakin' happy. In facy, I believe I actually said, out loud, "Oh my giddy heart" when I pulled them out of the magazine rack. One book has 30 pages of transfers and the other has 22 pages. Each page has between 2 and 6 transfers. It's like Christmas. Actually, since they are both "Christmas-themed" books, it is VERY like Christmas, but not all the images are strictly holiday-themed. I've scanned and uploaded a number of them, and you can see them at this Craftster thread.

Meanwhile, not that long ago, I was admiring some amazing bags on Etsy that utilize vintage scandinavian fabrics. After looking at the bags, I did a few searches on Ebay and Google, and the bold designs of scandinavian fabrics from the 60's & 70's really caught my breath. And I remembered seeing large fabric-panel wall hangings at thrift stores and I thought that if I ever saw another one, I'd snatch it up. The prices some of these pieces of fabric were fetching on Ebay was quite astonishing. Imagine my surprise, then, when I came across some really familiar-looking 60" fabric at the Goodwill. There was a LOT of it. (It was quite heavy carrying it around the thrift store for a half hour, I can tell you.) It was in a beautiful, bold rainbow colorscheme, screen-printed on heavy cotton. And then I read the printing on the edge. "Finlayson, Printed in Finland, 1977." Oh, you beautiful thing, you're coming home with me, you are! After getting it home and measuring it, I have just under 9 yards of the stuff. There are some flaws, I'll admit, but after doing a bit more research on Ebay, and finding a little more than a yard and a third selling (actually selling) on Ebay for over $100 US, in the same pattern but a different color scheme, I think I've hit pay-dirt on this one. Here she is, in all her rainbow glory, Finlayson's "braids" pattern:



Isn't she pretty?

In other news, I'm on a hunt for a doll for remake with which I can use the awesome hair I got in a Christmas Card from Dollyhair.com, where I purchased the hair to remake my highland pony. It's called "hematite" and is a beautiful, ever-so-slightly purple grey color. I can't wait!

2 Comments:

Blogger librarylass said...

I'm loving the fabric print!! What do you plan to make with it???

4:45 AM  
Blogger Lothruin said...

Make with it? lol... Profit, mostly. :D

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home