Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Shknitzel

Strickgarnschnitzel: Clippings of knitting yarn.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

New yarn!

Another trip to the thrift store that has revealed lovely new yarns to play with.


Behold, the grab bag. Note the crap to the right. Yeah, it's just Red Heart. Actually, I think the grey is wool-ease or a similar wool blend. The pastel crap is just Red Heart, and so is the shiny bright pink ball that you can barely see. There's also a ball of red, one of brown and one of pink acrylic. You can see a home-wound skein of a mustard yellow fingering weight yarn. A burn test shows it as a synthetic, but it's really nice and soft and lustrous, I think it's a pretty high quality yarn even though it isn't a natural fiber. Not sure, though.


But see here, the really interesting stuff. The pink/red/tan loopy yarn is mohair and wool, and os is the light aqua Loop-aire. The brown is unmarked, but is most definitely at least mostly wool or mohair. The red is tiny loopies and mohair on a nylon base. The peachy colored yarn is a wool crepe. And that flat skein is Bernat Mohair Plus, a 66/17/17 Mohair, wool and nylon blend. It's super duper soft and wonderful, and it's this beautiful off-white color that is somewhere between a pearly grey and pink, but oh so subtle. I think something lace will be made of it.

And what will I do with the loopy yarn? Sheep. Sheep I say! Loopy sheep. It'll be my next project after I make a lace panel for Emily's wedding.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Penny said...

Thanks so much for the comment on my blog... I just have to say, lucky you, I have never seen yarn at our thrift stores here... The best I can ever get is off Ebay...

6:07 PM  
Blogger Lothruin said...

I always feel sad for people with crappy thrift stores. My sis lives in Atlanta, and she rarely finds good yarn at thrift stores. I, on the other hand, have much luck at thrift stores. I regularly find great yarn for me to keep, plus every year for 2 years now I've found yarn for my mom and sis for gifts.

We're talkin' 12 skeins of Brown Sheep Company cotton/wool blend, 6 skeins of Brown Sheep Cotton Fine, 8 (10?) skeins of an Unger wool yarn, 4 fulls and 1 partial Irish mohair yarn... Plus I always find yarn I can sell on Ebay, too. :D It's quite handy to be able to spend $X on yarn, keep half of it for yourself or for gifts, and sell the rest on Ebay for $2X.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home